All the windows operating systems have some inbuilt tools that come handy when you’re stuck with an issue that seems impossible to get solved. DISM is one of those amazing tools that Windows users use to repair various stubborn errors. The tool named Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management or DISM works via Command Prompt and checks for any corrupted Windows files.
If you use DISM often then you know this line: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
It is the main command that is used for the repairing thing in Windows. So having DISM is totally a superpower for a user, but what if DISM in itself gets stuck and it doesn’t solve issues anymore. Well, if this is the issue with you then I have come up some possible solutions to fix DISM error 0x800f081f in windows 10.
How To Fix DISM Error 0x800f081f?
#1 Use Component Cleanup Command
Users need to put some commands in command prompt and you can restore the health if your DISM. Here is the way to get it done:
- First of all, get the search bar of Windows and type cmd
- Press Enter and command prompt will be there
- Now, you need to put these commands in that space one after another and then hit enter each time:
dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Once you are done running these two commands, put this one and hit enter:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Now you can check the error, it should not be there and DISM should be working fine.
#2 Make Sure You Have Installed All Windows Updates
When a user installs all the windows updates, any error occurrence becomes very rare. Also, installing windows updates ensure you bugs free operating system where all files are verified. By default, windows updates are set to get downloaded and installed automatically but even then you should check it manually and install any available updates.
- In the windows search bar, type ‘updates’ and press Enter
- Here you will see a button of Updates, just click it, wait a bit and all the updates will be on your screen and this is also one way of fixing DISM error 0x800f081f in windows 10.
#3 Make Use Of Windows 10 Installation Media
If the error with DISM still exists, then you can follow up with the steps here. This process will take a bit of your time and focus, so be ready for that and go along.
- Very first, you have to download Windows 10 Image using this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
- It is right on that page, just click Download tool and it will get downloaded. To install it just run it as an administrator
- Now the wizard comes on the screen where you need to check the box ‘Accept License terms’
- Choose the second option that is ‘Create installation media for another PC’ and hit the button Next
- The next section will be about the language and that will be automatic, so don’t worry about this one.
- Click Next and check the option saying ISO file and click Next
- Here you need to select the download location and choose Save
- This way, ISO file will be installed on your PC at the chosen location. Get to it, right click and select Mount
- Make sure you have Virtual Clone Drive downloaded to mount the ISO file
- Once you have opened the ISO file, locate the folder Sources
- After that, select install.esd file in Sources folder and right click it
- Choose Copy and then paste this to C drive or whoever your main drive is
- Next, open Command Prompt and type cd\ and press Enter key
- Now, you need to put this command:
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.esd and hit Enter
- A list will be on the screen and you should note down the index number as per your windows. For Windows 10 users, the index will be 6.
- In next step, put below command and hit enter:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:IndexNumber /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
- You need to replace that Index number with the version of your windows that you just noted
- Put the below command and hit enter:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:5 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
- Be patient and let the command execute the operation
- Now you need to put these commands and hit enter each time:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
- The next command will be:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:c:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Let the repair process get completed and at last put this one:
Sfc /Scannow and do not forget hitting the Enter key.
Check the Video for this method:
If you are still facing problem while using these solutions, do send us a message in the comment box.