Many times the Outlook doesn’t start especially after updating windows 10? It doesn’t give any clue of the problem but only the error message as ‘Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.’ Outlook is important software for sure as being an email sending and receiving client. When this error occurs users find themselves unable to access any of their emails and eventually they panic.
If asking for the reason, then corruption in outlook files during updating windows or inappropriate upgradation of windows may be the answer. The good news is, there are some possible fixes that users can always give a try and make Outlook work again.
- How to Fix Outlook Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update
- #1 Launch After Disabling Add-Ins
- #2 Fix The Corrupted Profile
- #3 Repair Data File
- #4 Use /Resetnavpane
- #5 Disable The Compatibility Mode For Outlook
- #6 Make Use Of New Email
- #7 Delete Outlook App Data Folder
- #8 Changing Dpi
- #9 Sign Off From Icloud
- #10 Go With An Older Version Of Outlook
- #11 Run The Sfc /Scannow Command
- #12 Delete The Registry Key
How to Fix Outlook Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update
#1 Launch After Disabling Add-Ins
Add-ins or add-ons are amazing as they provide us the additional functionality. These are the same as we use in browsers like Chrome and Firefox. Sometimes this amazingness can create the trouble because many of these add-ons can malfunction and it keeps outlook from opening up.
In this method, you will learn to disable add-ins of Outlook because often thee add-ins create this issue. So let’s try it out:
- Firstly, press windows key and R and this will bring the Run dialog box
- In that box type this command: Outlook.exe /safe and hit Enter
- This will make Outlook start in safe mode and now you need to disable the add-ins
- For this, go to File and then Option, there go to Add-Ins and find a checkbox
- Clear this checkbox and this will disable the add-ins
Now, all the add-ins are disabled so you can start Outlook normally and try enabling all the add-ins one by one. Once you find the problematic add-in, you can delete it permanently and enjoy Outlook.
#2 Fix The Corrupted Profile
Every Outlook user has a profile that stores all the Outlook settings. There may be fair chances that this profile is corrupted. In this case, you need to create a new profile.
- Open control panel by pressing windows key and X
- When it opens, you need to look for a folder named Mail
- Click this and choose the option Show Profiles, now click Add
- It is for creating a new profile so you need to enter your name, email address, password, and other necessary details
- Once done, click Next and your new profile settings will be saved.
- Now, click Finish and you can see this new profile in the General tab
- For the option profile to be used, choose Prompt and click OK
- Now, start Outlook and choose that newly created profile from the dropdown list. It will make everything working fine.
#3 Repair Data File
There is a data file that stores all your outlook data such as your emails, contacts, events, etc. If this data file is corrupted, then you may experience this issue of not being able to open Outlook. We have to fix this issue by following these simple steps:
- You have to locate the installation folder or the Office installation folder
- There look for SCANPST.EXE and run it
- In this dialog box click Browse and then go to the Outlook data file.
- Next, click Start that will start the scan and repair them for the errors.
If you are not able to give Outlook a start, then this command can fix the problem for you. Here are the simple steps:
- Close Outlook completely, make sure no file regarding this program is active
- Now get the Run dialog box and type this command: outlook.exe/resetnavpane and hit Enter
- Let the command run then you can try running Outlook again
#5 Disable The Compatibility Mode For Outlook
Programs like Outlook don’t need the compatibility mode to run since it is totally compatible with windows 10. So make sure you do not have the compatibility mode on. To make it easy, here are the steps:
- Go to Outlook shortcut or icon and right click it
- Choose Properties and go to Compatibility tab
- Here, look for the option ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’ and check if it is not turned on.
- If it is on, you need to disable it by removing the check from the box. Click OK to save the changes.
#6 Make Use Of New Email
Make sure you have completely close Outlook before trying this method. If you are not sure then here are the steps to close Outlook completely and then launching a new email:
- Open up task manager by using keys Ctrl + Shift + Esc altogether
- In the window go to Process tab and there look for Outlook
- Once you find it, click it or right-click and choose End task. It will close Outlook completely
- Next, go to the Start menu and look for Outlook
- Once you find it, hover your mouse over it and then click the arrow next to it
- From the list, choose New Email Message
- It will open up a new window. Now you need to the right-click Outlook and run it as an administrator
- It will make Outlook working again
#7 Delete Outlook App Data Folder
In this solution, users need to delete the Outlook AppData folder and for this follow the steps:
- Completely close Outlook and bring the run dialog box
- In that box paste this command: %localappdata% and hit the Enter key
- Now, go to the folder named Microsoft and there look for Outlook
- Here double-click it or start it in any way. If it starts all those deleted files will be covered and now you won’t face any issue.
There is another method too to fix this issue of App Data folder:
- Get the run box by pressing Windows Key + R
- Type this command: %appdata% and hit Enter
- Now go to the folder named Microsoft Outlook and look for a file named outlook.xml.
- Once you find it, delete this file and you can try open Outlook again.
#8 Changing Dpi
Several times this outlook error just needs DPI settings and then all works finely. Let’s try it out:
- Go to your desktop and right-click
- Choose Display Settings and a new window opens
- In this window, move that slider to 100%
- Now you need to log out and then log in again
- At last, you can try opening outlook if the problem is solved
You can also try lowering the DPI settings if it is set to 250, you can make it 200 and then check the error.
#9 Sign Off From Icloud
iCloud is a well-known cloud storage and if you are using this, then it may be the reason of that outlook error. The reasons are no cleared but users who use this service face outlook errors. So you just need to sign out from iCloud and then start Outlook.
#10 Go With An Older Version Of Outlook
If the issue happens with Outlook 2016 on Windows 10, then you should go with an older version. All your data can be imported to this older version of Outlook and this way it can be a great solution for Outlook users who haven’t found any help so far.
At last, try these two options to fix Outlook Stopped Working-
#11 Run The Sfc /Scannow Command
Using SFC is always a must try method that solves big issues in just a blink. If your problem still exists then trying out this method can really make your day.
- Open the command prompt by pressing two buttons windows key and X and sect it from the options
- In the window, you need to type the command: sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Entering this command will start the scanning process that can take a few minutes.
- This command checks all the corrupted files in your PC and repairs them using the cache versions
- You will get the report after the scanning is done and you will get to know if the issue is resolved
#12 Delete The Registry Key
The next method will be trying out the registry editor. This simple process can fix major issues in windows 10 so this time let’s try out for the outlook error.
By following these easy steps, you can modify the registry:
- Get the Run box by pressing windows key and R
- Now type: regedit and hit Enter
- The registry editor opens and now you need to navigate this path:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NT CurrentVersion Windows Messaging Subsystem
- Once you are there, expand this key
- Now select Profiles and right click it
- Go to Delete and you have done editing the registry.
- At last, restart your PC and check if you have solved Outlook not working after installing Windows 10 error.
If nothing solves your trouble, then you can always go for alternatives as there are many other great email clients. Go with a reliable and well-known email client and start using it.