Windows 10 is the new trend that comes installed on all the latest Windows devices. The features and experience have been enhancing since the first release of Windows 10. But it would not be wrong to say that Windows 10 comes with lots of errors and issues too.
The latest problem that occurs frequently is the Microsoft compatibility telemetry issue that works to improve user experience in several ways that we would talk here. Even though the service and as Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry works for the improvement it creates several issues to the users, and in most cases, users just want to disable it. So let’s talk what this Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry really is.
- What Is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
- Steps on How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Issue
- #2 Stop the Telemetry Service Using Registry Editor
What Is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
The service activates every time you turn on your devices having windows 10. The service is like a set of some commands that work on sending reports directly to Microsoft’s developers. The service regularly keeps an eye on how your software and all the services are working and how they can be improved for enhanced user experience.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry periodically observes your platform and sends you updates for windows and other service packs too. This way it keeps you updated with the latest data that you should have on windows 10.
What Is The Problem With Using TELEMETRY Service?
As I have mentioned that this service tracks your system on which Windows 10 is activated. Even though users get updates on software and services, they don’t feel okay with it that their software or system is being tracked. Users want to keep their privacy as it makes them feel secure so in many cases, they just want to disable this telemetry service.
Also Read: Video Scheduler Internal Error On Windows 10
If you feel this way too, then here I bring you some practical ways to fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry issue windows 10 by disabling it. Disabling it keep you from being tracked as the service won’t take your data to the developers and you won’t get updates anymore. Also, you won’t get that high disk usage error or an error related to the CPU usage because that happens because of the telemetry service. So now read out these methods here for the easy solutions.
Steps on How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Issue
#1. Use Command Prompt to Disable Telemetry
Command prompt or CMD is the most convenient way to access the programs easily and rapidly. Using CMD you can get rid of any issues related to the Telemetry service, all you need to do is just put the command and follow the steps. It will stop working until you enable it again so if you are sure then here is your first method-
- Open the run dialogue box by pressing windows key + R.
- Now in the given space type cmd and hit the enter button.
- The command prompt will open up that seems like a fully black window.
- In the next step, you need to enter the following commands and press enter after pasting each command.
— sc delete DiagTrack–
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo ““ > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-DiagTrack-Listener.etl
reg add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection”/v AllowTelemetry/t REG_DWORD/d 0 /f
If you follow all these commands properly hitting enter after each command, then you make it disable.
#2 Stop the Telemetry Service Using Registry Editor
The next step takes you through the registry editor if you don’t wish to follow the CMD option or if the service didn’t get disabled that way. Suppose you have no idea about what the Windows Registry is. Then let me tell you, it is a hierarchy where all your system’s configuration is stored in hierarchical form.
- Open the run dialog box by pressing Windows Key + R, and it will open the box.
- Now you need to type regedit or just copy it from here and paste into that box and hit enter.
- It will open up the Registry editor having all the info in hierarchical form.
- If you are prompt to any box that seems like User Account box asking for your confirmation then just click on Yes.
- Now you need to follow this path- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection.
- After getting to the root ‘Data Collection,’ you will see an option named ‘Allow Telemetry,’ and you just need to double-click on it. Double click gets a pop up on the screen and you just need to type 0 (zero) there and click OK, you are done.
- Sometimes you don’t find the option of Allow Telemetry. In this case, you can create it by right-clicking the Data Collection.
- Now select New > DWORD Value > Set Value date to 0 (zero), click OK and then just name it as Allow Telemetry and then follow the same steps.
#3. Using Diagnostics Tracking Service
Here is our next method that you can follow to kick away the Microsoft compatibility telemetry issue and if you really don’t want to take advantages of Telemetry service. Disable it using these following steps-
- Open the run dialog box using the same process windows key + R.
- It opens the dialog box where you need to type ‘services.msc’ or just copy it and paste there. Don’t include the quotes symbol.
- After you hit enter, you can see a new window where all the services are mentioned.
- Here in this long list of services you need to find something named as Diagnostics Tracking Service.
- Suppose that you find it, now right click on it and then go to properties.
- It opens the properties window, in the general tab which is the first tab, look for Startup Type and convert it from Automatic to Disable. Voila, you are done disabling the telemetry service.
#4. Disable Telemetry Using Group Policy Editor
It is another great way to turn off the telemetry service from windows 10. So follows these simple steps and get rid of the high disk usage issue or any telemetry issue.
- Just like previously, you need to open the run dialog box. Just press Windows Key + R.
- Now copy this text from here- gpedit.msc or type it yourself.
- After typing on that space in the run box hit enter.
- It will open a new window on the screen as group policy editor.
- Follow this path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- After reaching the end that is preview build, you see an option or entry as Allow Telemetry. Take your mouse and double-click on it. There you see Disable option, click it and press OK.
- In the end, you can restart your system to check it takes effect and you are done on how to fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry issue.
#5 Disable Compattelrunner.Exe to Turn Off the Service
Well, it is another great method to turn off the service, and it will not turn on when you have disabled it once. For this method, we will go to task scheduler and disable the CompatTelRunner.exe as it is the process that is responsible for this telemetry service. So, disabling the exe process will automatically turn off the service.
- Get that run dialog box by pressing Windows Key + R
- In the run box type this text- taskschd.msc or copy and paste it into the box.
- Press the enter key, and task scheduler will be on your screen.
- In the next step, you need to follow this path: Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows and lastly go to Application Experience.
- Right after you click on Application Experience, you can see an option named Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser on the right side.
- Just right-click on it and select disable. You are done disabling the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry service.
Windows is the currently running operating system ion all the windows devices. It is the most convenient one that has been progressing every day and sends you updates whenever possible. But being the user-friendly version of windows it sometimes beings some issues or errors that make the users feel restless. Telemetry service is not of the issues, and I really hope all these five methods will surely help you to fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry issue windows 10. See you guys in my next article.